Webinar: The Consumer Data Protection Revolution & What This Means for Your Dealership
Consumer data privacy concerns are constantly in the news. Growing pressure for lawmakers to do something has resulted in a wave of new consumer privacy legislation spreading across the country. In California, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) will take effect on January 1, 2020. The CCPA applies to any for-profit business that meets ONE of the following requirements:
- grosses $25 million or more in revenue
- buys, sells or shares personal information for 50,000 or more consumers
- derives 50% or more of its revenues from selling consumers’ personal information
This sweeping new consumer privacy law requires businesses to take “reasonable security measures” to safeguard consumers’ personal information.
So, what exactly are “reasonable security measures?” The CA Attorney General defines “reasonable measures” as compliance with 20 controls established by the Center for Internet Security.
In his webinar, Erik Nachbahr, Founder of Helion Technologies will review and explain these 20 controls, and will outline the steps that dealers need to take in order to comply with the CCPA.
The webinar will also discuss necessary hardware, software and data security procedures you’ll need to implement, to keep your consumer data safe and your business protected from potential legal action.
Dealers in attendance will learn:
- What it means to take “reasonable measures” to secure consumer data as defined by the CA Attorney General
- Practical advice for beginning to implement these reasonable measures
- Benefits of compliance and the consequences of noncompliance
Erik Nachbahr is president and founder of Helion Technologies, the nation’s leader in Information Technology (IT) management for automotive and heavy-duty truck dealerships. Since 1997 Helion has grown to become one of the nation’s largest managed technology services providers, with over 28,000 end users in more than 700 dealerships. Helion’s IT services ensure best practices for employee productivity, dealership security and compliance.